Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design
Due Date: 4/19/2013
Characterization of Distributed Systems - Scalability:
1) Within a distributed system many services are required to support the processing infrastructure. As these systems are extended, scalability of these services is critical to the success of current and future applications.
Given a shared resource that has the potential for frequent access from many distributed processes, provide an example that includes the resource and a technique that addresses the scalability in this situation.
A. Distributed System Performance:
2) As was noted in previous discussions and presentations, performance is impacted by factors such as geographical distance, heterogeneous components, and design requirements.
Comment on the following:
Distributed system performance can be attributed to the relationship of the architecture
to the algorithm. Use proper support for your position.
3) How does the openness of a distributed system impact its design? Give a specific example.
4) The first two discussion questions have highlighted the value of a standard
communication protocol that provides a base for distributed activity and the challenges
of heterogeneous components. Given the different transparency techniques highlighted
in the course materials, choose one and give an explanation of how it applies to a
heterogeneous system, the value, and how the transparency is accomplished (include the
hardware and software mechanisms and any decisions that are based upon them).
5) Explain why heterogeneity is a challenge for distributed system designers. Give a specific example.
6) Explain why/why not HTML, URLs and HTTP may be classified and used as core technologies for general-purpose client-server computing?
7) Explain why heterogeneity is a challenge for distributed system designers. Give a specific example.
8) Explain why/why not HTML, URLs and HTTP may be classified and used as core technologies for general-purpose client-server computing?
Communication, Networking, and Internetworking
9) Given a highly evolving/dynamic environment, provide support for the use of indirect communication. Use space and time to support your argument.
10) Is the End to End argument invalid? Provide a view that either supports or refutes the End to End argument in the modern Internet.
11) Discuss a communication issue that impacts the scalability of a distributed system.
12) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of layers in support of network and data communication.
Distributed Processes and Operating System Fundamentals
13) Discuss the value or detrement in terms of some specific performance measurement of a specific user-level thread library design and its host operating system.
14) Explain how isolation in operating system virtualization impacts the complexity of distributed systems
15) Use the end to end argument to support virtualization in distributed systems. Provide a specific example.
16) Give an example of how OS virtualization contributes to the distributed system paradigm
17) Compare and contrast SOAP and REST web services
18) Compare & Contrast an element of Distributed Object Systems with Web Services
Internet 2 Middleware Initiative
Look at the current Internet 2 Middleware Initiative:
19) Choose an aspect or element of a key project and discuss how it impacts the middleware general body of knowledge.