Regional Gardens Ltd is a company that runs number related gardening enterprises. It has a large display garden that it opens for public inspection a number of times in a year. The company also owns Regional Garden’s Nursery which sells plants and garden supplies to the public. The company also owns Regional Garden Planners which is a small company that provide garden advice; design and consultancy services.
Regional Gardens Ltd has a small data centre at its main site at Bathurst where the company’s servers and data storage is located. The company has the following server infrastructure:
• 2x Active Directory domain controllers on Windows Server 2008 R2, (2 x Xeon 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 140GB HDD);
• 3 x SQL Server 2003 database servers on Windows Server 2003 (2 x Xeon 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB RAID-5 array);
• 1 x Exchange 2007 Email Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 (2 x Xeon 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 250GB RAID-1 array);
• 4 x Windows Server 2003 File and Print Servers (2x Xeon 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB RAID-1 array);
• 2 x Red Hat Enterprise 5 Linux Server running Apache and TomCat (2x Xeon 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 140GB HDD).
The company has some 150 staff, which includes management, administrative staff, nursery and Regional Garden Planner’s staff. The company has a range of different types of relatively old personal computers, which run Windows XP, to connect to the company data centres. These computers will need to be updated in the near future.
The directors of the Regional Gardens Ltd are concerned about the increasing costs of power and cooling to operate their data centre and they are investigating whether they should employ a Virtualisation technology in their data centre. They are also considering whether they should use Virtualisation to provide an updated desktop environment to their staff.
You are to consider how to implement a virtual infrastructure for the company and prepare a report for the directors of Regional Garden’s Ltd. Your report should include:
1. A one page executive summary that describes the main points of your report. (10 Marks)
2. A description of proposed virtual infrastructure for the data centre including which virtual technology is recommended and the reasons for that recommendation. (40 Marks)
3. A description of how virtual applications and desktops or both will be delivered to the user’s desktops. (10 Marks)
4. A description of how you will provide disaster recovery in this infrastructure. (20 Marks)
5. A discussion of the information security changes required in this environment and the steps required monitoring and controlling these changes. (20 Marks)
The rationale of this assessment allows you to demonstrate your knowledge of:
• the essentials of network and storage Virtualisation;
• the requirement of a virtual infrastructure; and
• the planning and reporting the proposed Virtualisation infrastructure implementation.
The report should be submitted as MS Word or pdf document. Please do not submit *.zip or *.rar or any other format and also do not submit multiple copies of the report. Please use A4 page size with Times New Roman font of size 12. Following should be included as minimum requirements for the report structure.
Title of Report
This section should have proper title of the report.
Student Name and Student ID
This section should contain your name and your student ID.
Student Email Contact
Provide your Email address under this section.
Executive Summary or Abstract
This section provides a brief overview of the scenario, reasoning/findings and concluding remarks on your findings.
Background, types of Virtualisation technologies, advantages and limitations of Virtualisation technologies.
(Note: You may consider having sub sections of this section as follows)
Description of the proposed virtual infrastructure, recommendations, reasoning for the recommendation, implementation details such as delivery of virtual applications / desktops (or both) to user’s desktops, disaster recovery plan, information security changes requirements
Findings / Recommendations
Summarise your final findings and recommendations to the company.
Summary of the report
You must cite references using APA referencing style to all material you have used as sources for the content of your work.
A glossary should assist the reader in understanding any technical terms used in the report. Use a generally accepted source for the definition of the terms and include appropriate referencing.
Online submission via Turnitin is required for this assignment.