Starting in Week 2 (this week)
This course project was built to test your knowledge of conducting Continuing Education for Coding Staff.
You are the Coding Manager of the Health Information Management department for DeVry Community Hospital and Health Services. In your role as Coding Manager, you have the responsibility for not only training new employees but for conducting continuing education for the coding staff. For your course project, you will develop an annual schedule for in services and a presentation.
First, you will select a topic appropriate for a PowerPoint presentation. Next, you will conduct research on topics to be included in the schedule of in services. You will then develop an annual schedule for education and training. Finally, you will develop a PowerPoint presentation for your inservice.
Course Project Topic Selection: As you are responsible for conducting training and providing continuing education, you must determine the topics you will address with your coding staff during the calendar year. Select a topic for your PowerPoint presentation and submit your selected topic for instructor approval. You should include an explanation of the relevance of the topic to your coding staff. Due Week 2.
Course Project Outline: As Coding Manager, you must provide your staff with available yearly continuing education credits/offerings. You need to determine what 12 monthly inservice meeting topics you will use to create the yearly inservice calendar from. For each month be sure to include the topic, how this topic will be beneficial to your coders and how it fits into the course project topic you selected in Week 2. Due Week 4.
Application paper: In your role as Coding Manager, you must educate your staff on updates and changes in coding and reimbursement. Prepare a brief one to two page application paper on MS-DRGs. Remember to format your paper and cite your references in APA format. APA reference materials are available in the Course Syllabus. Due Week 5.
In-service Schedule: As Coding Manager, you determine your staff's educational needs. Develop a schedule for in-service training and education. This schedule should cover one year with a minimum of monthly meetings. The researched topics should be included in this schedule. Be sure to consider when in the year topics, such as coding updates, should be presented. Your inservice schedule needs to include the topic, time of meeting, location of meeting and duration of meeting. Due Week 7.
PowerPoint Presentation: A visual presentation is often an effective instructional tool when training staff. Select one of the topics on your in-service schedule and develop a PowerPoint presentation for use in your training session. Your presentation should include sufficient detail for your staff to understand the topic and its relevance. Be sure your presentation provides visual interest to keep your staff engaged. In addition to slides, your presentation must include your narrative -speech- in the notes below the slide. Due Week 7.
Back to Top
• The Application paper must be 1 to 2 pages in length, 10 point font, double-spaced; include a cover page, introduction, body of the report, summary or conclusion, and works cited.
• In-service Schedule must be in Microsoft Excel format with the following headings:
• Dates of in-service
• Topic to be discussed
• PowerPoint Presentation must be a minimum of 10 slides with sufficient detail and narrative -speech- in the notes below the slide.
• Even though this is not a scientific-type writing assignment, and is mostly creative in nature, references are still very important. At least 3 authoritative, outside references are required (anonymous authors or web pages are not acceptable). These should be listed on the last page titled -Works Cited- or -References-.
• Appropriate citations are required.
• All DeVry University policies are in effect including the plagiarism policy.
• Papers are due during Week 7 of this course.
• Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Discussion topic.
• This paper is worth 20 total points and will be graded on quality of research topic, quality of paper information, use of citations, grammar, and sentence structure.
• The Excel In-service Schedule is worth 50 total points and will be graded on quality of topics selected and creativity on scheduling.
• The PowerPoint Presentation is worth 100 total points and will be graded on quality of topic selected and creativity of graphics.
• Course Project Topic Selection: As you are responsible for conducting training and providing continuing education, you must determine the topics you will address with your coding staff during the calendar year. Select a topic for your PowerPoint presentation and submit your selected topic for instructor approval. You should include an explanation of the relevance of the topic to your coding staff. Due Week 2.
The topic area must relate to the HIM department functions and/or services. Some examples of the types of training/in-service that you may want to present to employees include, but are not limited to: coding, billing, or reimbursement.